Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Weekend of Reviews

Sorry for the lack of posts lately, Parish and I have been very busy between work, seminars (water/wastewater for him), insulin pumps breaking and trying to plan for our busy weekend coming up!

Last weekend was a nice change of pace, I got our whole house cleaned, laundry done, read an entire book and saw a good and not so good movie in the theater.

First off - a MUST read! Loving Natalee by Beth Holloway, seriously one of the best books that I have ever read. Everyone knows about Natalee Holloway who disappeared on a senior class trip in Aruba. I heard about it, followed it for a while - until Hurricane Katrina swept over the media and lost touch. I had NO idea how uncooperative the Aruban authorities were in this case, and to this day - her killers remain free. So sad, no justice at all. One thing that I thought was amazing about this story is how Beth, Natalee's mom turned this horrific experience into one that could save many others. To learn more about what I mean, visit: http://www.internationalsafetravelsfoundation.org/MS/MS37/page.php?p=418

It's Beth's organization website that explains what you can do to have safe travels. This book is a must read - I would recommend it to anyone. It's been a while since I have read a book that moved me like that.

Next, let's move to the NOT SO GOOD movie...I am Legend. I am a huge fan of Will Smith, and don't get me wrong - he was amazing in this movie and it did do very well in the box offices, but it's what they didn't show you in the previews that got to me. I even felt the urge to leave in the middle of it, almost like I had anxiety - okay, I was scared. Weird, I know, but I think it's safe to say that we won't be renting or buying this movie.

P.S. I Love You - Wow, this movie had tears rolling down my face before the opening credits. I recommend all of you to go watch this movie. I know I will buy it when it comes out. Everyone needs a good "crying" movie on hand, and besides - it had a great message and happy ending. And...since I am a huge Grey's fan, it didn't hurt that "Denny Duquet" was featured in this movie.

This weekend, Parish and I have big plans. First, I have Molly's Bachelorette Party - 30 girls getting together - you know that's going to be memorable. Parish is in the Brainerd Jaycee's fishing tournament. It's his 3rd year participating and he goes up with friends, stays the weekend and does what he loves best. Fish and drink. Ha! "Grandma and Grandpa" Barten are coming over to our house for the weekend to babysit Jackson. :)

Have a safe weekend, the temperatures look like they are on the rise!

No comments: