Sunday, June 21, 2009

What would you do if....

What would you do if you won a million dollars??

We all have dreams and I am sure that everyone has thought of something. We would pay off debts, give money to our parents, siblings, invest some, save some, but most importantly I would give a majority of it to find a cure for Diabetes!

It’s not often that I complain about this stupid disease, but this weekend has been a rough one.

I have good control of my diabetes. I check my blood sugars, and watch what I eat, and I am so very lucky that my parents fought to get me on an Insulin Pump at a young age. I have so much freedom – for a diabetic. I had a really high blood sugar on Saturday because my tube on my Insulin pump wasn’t primed correctly (which happens from time to time with technology), and I wasn’t getting the correct amount of Insulin for about 4 hours. We were enjoying the movie “The Proposal,” so I didn’t really feel it until we got home.

My Saturday and Sunday were wasted with feeling sick. I had to correct the problem – which took about 6 hours to do, and now I am dealing with the aftermath – severe headaches, loss of appetite, drowsiness, and now - frustration.

Frustrated that there isn’t a cure yet. Frustrated that it takes so long to snap out of a high blood sugar. Frustrated that I spent my Saturday night (which was our date night) feeling sick. Frustrated that I had to wake up every ½ hour to re-check my blood sugar. Frustrated with the headache that I have. And frustrated that it’s 5:18 p.m. on a Sunday night and I don’t feel better.

Okay. That's it. I apologize for this "venting post," but I had to share my frustrations...

There is a lot of fun events to attend this summer that will directly go to finding a cure for this disease. I know Parish and I will be attending a few. Check out the link above and if you are interested - I encourage you to attend. I think I can speak for thousands in Minnesota alone when I say - we would greatly appreciate it!

1 comment:

Melissa Reintjes said...

Well I hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine having to deal with diabetes, but recently I found out I had PCOS, so they are giving me this horrible medication, that makes me feel like crap all the time. All to get my body using insulin correctly! So I sort of know how you are feeling and hope you get better soon!