Friday, May 2, 2008

SO proud of my dad!

Yesterday was probably one of my most memorable days (besides my wedding) that I will cherish and remember for as long as I live.

Let me give you a little backgroud first...

My parents are both hard working and loving people - they always provided us with the things we needed and taught us the importance of working hard for the things that you want.

My dad has been the ISD #318 business manager for as long as I can remember (sorry dad, don't know exact years). I told this to one of his co-worker's yesterday, but as hard as my dad has worked throughout these last 30+ years - us girls have NEVER felt that his work came first. When we were growing up, when it hit 5 p.m. I never can recall my dad being "buried in his work"(and believe me - he easily could have been). I always remember family outings like boat rides on Pokegama, car rides when it was stormy, my dad teaching us all about how to care for his lawn, the spring cleaning of the Garage and the winterizing of the snowblowers, etc. He always had time for us. Always. And my mom, she was always there, even though she worked hard herself. Always helping us with our homework, life problems, lending a listening ear and waking us up EVERY MORNING signing "Rise and Shine," a song I used to think my mom collaborated with Cher, because to me - she sounded just like her!

My point is, our parents always tried their best to be the greatest parents - and they were. Even though life is SO extremely busy with work.

I guess, I have always known what my dad has done for a job, but a basic general idea - and now that I am in my own career, I love talking budgets or fiscal years with him, because it's a common interest. My dad is VERY talented at what he does and I am so proud of him.

Yesterday, at the 58th Annual Spring MASBO (Minnesota Association of School Business Officials) at Breezy Point Resort, my dad, Ben Hawkins, was named 2008 Minnesota School Business Official of the Year.


An award, that you can only win once in your career, an award that I am SO proud of him for achieving. He has worked for this honor for 30+ years and deserves every bit of recognition he gets.

During his acceptance speech, I listened whole heartedly to what my dad had to say. He was deeply honored and thankful...and a bit nervous.

He thanked PMA financial services for sponsoring his award and thanked past and current members for their trust and support. He expressed his appreciation for the MASBO organization and the open lines of communication with the Department of Education and recognized the importance of networking with other area superintendents and other business office staff.

As I watched and listened to my dad speak, I felt the biggest sence of accomplishment for him and my heart filled with complete joy. This is something that I will take with me for as long as I live. My eyes filled with tears, and I was in awe over my dad's accomplishments.

He has served under 11 Superintendents, over 150 + school board members and as he so eloquently put it..."no one has died yet, as a result of my work." That's my dad's humor for you.

When he introduced our family, he said that we were the more important things in his life (not like I doubted that or anything). But it's true. And my parents have proved that all along, as I look back at our lives growing up. Family comes first. And all the while my parents were raising us by teaching us right from wrong, celebrating our successes and helping us learn from our failures, all the times that they didn't BLOW UP, because we needed more money during college, all the times that we laughed, cried, screamed with anger or sat in the comfort of a quiet house - my dad was achieving this success in his career. He should be so proud. I know I am!

Congratulations Dad - you mean the world to me and it was truly an honor to be able to watch you receive this award, you truly, TRULY deserve it!
Also, a special thanks to Superintendent Joe Silko - for nominating my dad. Thank you so much!
I am having a hard time posting pictures - but they are coming soon!!

No comments: