Friday, May 23, 2008

Update on my mom

My mom is doing good - she is really sore. She went into surgery at 1:45 p.m on May 21 and was in recovery at around 3:15 p.m. My dad and I were extremely pleased with the outcome of her surgery.

In addition to her lumpectomy, she also had sentinel node biopsy - which is an important indicator of the potential spread of cancer - all 4 of her sentinel nodes were clear, according to the prelimiary report. They also removed the cancer as well as the surronding tissue. She won't receive the final oncology report until Thursday at her appt. That's when we find out her treatment plan. We were just all relieved.

They did mention that getting "clear margins" around the tumor is important and that is why a bit more than the cancer was removed and they won't be able to identify the "Fingers" until they receive the oncology report. Since a tumor is typically bumpy or has speculated surgaces (which may be trying to branch out and spread) the surgeon will want to be sure that when the tumor is removed, no bits of the tentacles our outer bumps AKA fingers are left in the breast tissue, only to cause another occurrence of cancer.

So, I will be totally relieved when we get the oncology report back. She is very tired and sore, but on the mend and smiling, laughing and being her usual self when I left- which is SO nice to see.

I am helping my sister move this weekend - she is moving into her first apartment by herself this weekend in Minnetonka. Parish is actually going to be going up North to be with his mom and family - I wish I could be with him too, but since my mom just had surgery, I figured I would be most helpful lugging boxes so that my mom can fully recover.

I am so proud of Ashley - she landed this sweet apartment, a wonderful internship, will be graduating from Carlson early and not to mention the fact that she bought the cutest furniture for her new place...it's just so fun to watch her become so successful. She's really not my little sister who colored outside the lines anymore.

Hope you all have a safe memorial weekend!

No comments: